Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Recipe: Roasted Veggie and Pesto Goat Cheese Lasagna

I am moving in less than two months, and seriously need to get rid of some stuff. This includes a lot of pantry items, so I am initiating a project called "clean out my pantry" cooking. Joey and I are trying to use up a couple things each week. This week we decided to use a box of lasagna noodles I've had sitting around for who knows how long. I roasted a TON of veggies Monday night (used some of them for my dinner) so it took no time to pull together when we made the lasagna on Tuesday. We also had an opened log of goat cheese to use up - Joey had the genius idea of using it in place of the ricotta that is found in most lasagna recipes. I looked online to see how people generally used it, and found a great recipe that we based ours after:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/roasted-vegetable-lasagna-with-goat-cheese/59a18a02-7ac5-404b-b125-beb96a5ddfbf

We somewhat followed the recipe.
For the veggies, I roasted:
1 head broccoli
1 small onion
1.5 red bell peppers
3 zucchini
~12 oz white mushrooms
1/2 head cauliflower

Then I took out some and ate it for my dinner Monday night :)

We mixed ~6-7 oz goat cheese with ~1/3 cup pesto (the last of the homemade pesto from our basil plants last summer). I'm pretty sure that was my favorite part - it was incredible. Plus, adding the pesto made the goat cheese much creamier and easier to work with.

The noodles I had were the "no boil" variety, and we made 4 layers with 3 noodles each. The box came with 16 noodles, so we still have some left.

We layered in some shredded cheese - I think it was an Italian blend. We also sprinkled some grated parmesan on top.

And we used an entire jar of sauce - I tried to smother the noodles as much as I could, since they would need to be wet to actually get cooked.

Here it is! It was amazing :)


No comments:

Post a Comment