Friday, April 19, 2013

Workout: April 19, 2013

Fridays are my "sparty" workouts, short for Spartacus. I'm not sure where it originally came from, but Men's Health featured it. It's basically a high-intensity circuit workout. 10 different exercises, 60 seconds each, with a 15 second break in between. Then you can repeat it 2-3 times. The first time I did it, I attempted to do all of the exercises from the Men's Health version. Since then, I have made a modified version each week, so I can target the muscles of my choice.

Here's what I did today!

Assisted Pullups:
90lbs assistance - 10, 8, 6

Burnout Pullups:
Joey suggested that once I finished my 3 sets, I increase the assistance and do "burnout pullups." To keep increasing, and do as many as I could.
100lbs assistance: 10
110lbs assistance: 12, 10

Sparty: (2x through)
Burpees (full)
Reverse biceps curls (10lb DBs)
Side lunge with touch (10lb DBs)
Superman
Inbred cousins (14lb medicine ball)
Back fly (10lb DBs)
Lunge with twist (14lb medicine ball)
Chest Press (10lb DBs)
Single Arm Swing (10lb DB)
Russian Twist (14lb medicine ball)

Joey also suggested that each time I do sparty, I keep track of a few of the exercises - how many reps I do each time through. It's a nice motivation for the second (and third, if I do it) sets, to try to beat the reps of the first set. And it's also a good way of tracking my progress, which obviously I love doing.

Burpees: 11, 12
Inbred cousins: 12, 13
Lunge with twist: 18, 20
Chest Press: 26, 28
Single Arm Swing: 20, 20 (per arm)
Russian Twist: 26, 32

Close Grip Pulldowns: 2x15 at 70lbs, 1x15 at 60lbs
Seated Narrow Grip Row: 1x10 at 70lbs, 2x15 at 60lbs

Now I'm enjoying a dinner of leftovers. I heated up the last piece of lasagna, cooked an ear of corn, and heated up some leftover corn chowder. The chowder is decent, but I think I could make a better one from scratch. I got a mix at World Market, and I definitely wouldn't buy it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment