Monday, July 29, 2013

What I Made Last Week - 1

I decided I'm going to start yet another weekly post, this time about the things I've made in the past week. This will be a recap of all of my recipe posts. It will also include things I didn't post about, such as dinners that are too simple to require a recipe, or repeats of previous posts.

Monday July 22nd:
Rosemary and Thyme Crusty Bread
Our first try making the easy dutch oven no-knead bread! Turned out pretty well, the herbs were a nice addition. We let it rise for too long (~21 hours), so it didn't rise as much in the oven.

Cauliflower Rice Stir-Fry
We pulsed a whole heat of cauliflower in the food processor until they were in small grain-like pieces, then sauteed it. We used it in place of rice in our normal stir-fry. Tasted pretty good.

Tuesday July 23rd:
Quinoa Salad with Roasted Broccoli, Tomatoes, Mushrooms and Feta
This salad is so easy, and you can make it with whatever you have on hand. I made enough to have for two nights, and topped it with roasted shrimp.

Wednesday, July 24th:
Mediterranean Veggie Burger Bowl
I roasted some zucchini, eggplant, onions and mushrooms, then mixed that with some chopped fresh tomato, crumbled feta, and two veggie burgers cut into pieces. And of course had it with fries on the side, that were seasoned with Old Bay.

Thursday, July 25th
Quinoa Salad Leftovers
As planned, I had the leftovers of the quinoa salad. I added in a bit more feta, microwaved an ear of corn and then cut off the kernels into it, and chopped up half a cucumber. I topped it with roasted shrimp again, as well.

Friday, July 26th
Pizza at Slice - a local pizza place that reheats slices of gourmet pizza for you. It's my favorite style of "reheat"pizza - much better than Christian's. We had ice cream at Sweet Frog for dessert.

Saturday, July 27th
Blueberry and Strawberry Baked Oatmeal
I will make this again and again and again. It tastes like dessert, but is actually a pretty darn healthy breakfast! You can make it with whatever fruit you have on hand, and can add some healthy mix-ins. I used ground flax seed, you could also use wheat germ, bran, etc. We had the oatmeal with some fried eggs on toast.

Orange, Cinnamon and Cardamom Crusty Bread
We made no-knead bread for a second time. This time we added orange zest, cinnamon and cardamom to the recipe, and let it rise for less time (16 hours instead of 21). It turned out really well! Don't mind the grayish color - it's from the spices.

Homemade Applesauce Granola
We make this granola really frequently. Basically as soon as we run out, we make another batch. One batch typically lasts ~2 weeks for us. This time I chopped up dried mango, pineapple and figs for the dried fruit, and we used 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces and 1/2 cup leftover mixed cocktail nuts.

Dinner at El Tepeyac - a newish Mexican and Salvadorian restaurant in Charlottesville. This was our second time there, we used a Living Social deal both times. The first time I got enchiladas poblanas and they were delicious. This time I got shrimp fajitas, also delicious. Everything tastes authentic and homemade. The service wasn't great this time - they got Joey's order wrong, and we were already late for a movie so we didn't say anything about it.

Sunday, July 28th
Crusty Bread French Toast and Turnip Green Scrambled Eggs
We used the orange, cardamom and cinnamon crusty bread for french toast - it was amazing. The bread was sturdy enough to soak up a lot of the egg/milk mixture, and still stay in one piece. For the scrambled eggs - Joey cooked a big bag of turnip greens with a lot of garlic, and then added in some eggs and smoked blue cheese. We usually do 2 eggs for each of us.

Honey Wheat Sandwich Bread
This is the second time I've made this bread now, and I changed it only slightly. I upped the amount of whole wheat flour, so I started off with 1.5 cups whole wheat flour and 1.5 cups bread flour. It wasn't as humid as the first time I made it, so I only need an additional 1/2 cup bread flour. It turned out great with the extra whole wheat flour. It still rose plenty high, and tastes pleasantly of honey and wheat, without being too dense.

Baked Cod, Steamed Broccoli, and Harvest Grain Medley with Sauteed Veggies
I usually get a big bag of individually packed frozen tilapia from Sam's Club, but this time I wanted to get a different kind of fish as well. I got cod, since it's a much firmer, thicker fish, so I could use it for things that I couldn't use the tilapia for. I didn't feel like making anything too involved, so I just cooked it in the oven, and topped it with salt and pepper, a little bit of mayonnaise, and then bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and onion powder. It was pretty good, but I slightly overcooked it! I cooked up two servings of harvest grain medley in homemade vegetable broth, and mixed those with sauteed onions, mushrooms and peppers. I have half of that leftover for another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment