Sunday, July 28, 2013

Workout Recap - Sparty on July 26th

Thursday was a busy day, so I didn't have time to run. I left the house at 6:15am, and didn't get home until 6:30pm. I actually got home earlier than anticipated, and considered still doing a run. That thought disappeared as soon as I remembered how hungry I was. I decided I was going to cook dinner, let everything settle, then do Day 4 of my Challenge. I bet you can guess what happened - I was exhausted after I finished eating, and just went to bed. But you know what? That's okay. Friday was supposed to be a rest day for the challenge, so I just switched the two days. You can do that!

I planned a spartacus-style workout to do right at home. I also planned it so that most of my challenge exercises were included.

Here's what I did:

I kept track for some of the workouts:
I did 16 IBC first set, 17 second set. I did 26 V-Ups first set, and 30 the second set. I did 41 Air Squats first set, 44 second set. I did 10 Burpees first set, 12 second set. I did 20 Triceps dips each set. I did 13 side lunges per side first set, 14 per side second set.

The guidelines in parentheses are for the challenge - how many you need to do in order to fulfill the challenge there.

If you're doing Day 4 by itself, here it is:

I didn't use the heart rate monitor, because Joey wanted to use it during his run. I did however use it while just sitting around on the couch. This gave me some interesting information. First, my resting heart rate is ~65beats/minute, which is lower than it was originally telling me. I think that by putting it on and then not looking at it constantly, it gave a more reliable readout. In the 20 minutes I had it on, my average heart rate was 68bpm, and I burned 43 calories. I think this is interesting, because it gives me a benchmark for what I'm burning by doing absolutely nothing. If I do a workout and in the course of 20 minutes I've burned 75 calories, I'm probably not working very hard.

After I finished the workout, I just left everything sitting out and pushed the weights to the side. When Joey had left for his run, he wasn't happy to see I was doing my workout barefoot. He warned me that dropped dumbbells = broken toes. I just scoffed at him. I shouldn't have been so smug. I didn't drop one, but as we were leaving to go to a movie I walked right into one of the DBs. It hurt pretty bad, but not anything awful. I noticed in the car that something was throbbing, but by touching my toes I couldn't even tell which one had hit the weight. By the time the movie was over, it was excruciatingly obvious that the second smallest toe was the one in question, and it was pretty swollen and bruised. Two days later, the end towards the nail is a bit purple, and it hurts a bit while in a running shoe, but it's okay besides that. I'm a bit relieved, since I was a little worried it could have been broken. (Side note - we saw Fast and Furious 6 and loved it - so bad it's good)

Workout Lessons Learned:

#3 Be flexible. If you're too rigid (with anything in life actually), slipping once will just make you want to completely quit. For working out - if you miss one workout, that's okay! Just do it the next day, or the next chance you get. Don't freak out about it. Just make sure it's not a frequent thing.

#4 Put away workout equipment when finished working out. Broken toes aren't cool

No comments:

Post a Comment