Sunday, July 21, 2013

What to do with leftover crappy Chinese takeout

Last Monday, I had a long experiment and didn't get home until 8pm (after being gone since 6:30am). Joey was flying back from being away for the weekend, and wasn't going to be home until 9pm or so, due to a delayed flight. I ordered chinese food for the two of us, since it was the quickest and most convenient way to get dinner.


I think they thought we had a much bigger crowd? We got a ton of sauce packets, and SEVEN fortune cookies!

I ordered steamed dumplings, egg drop soup, and shrimp with broccoli. The dumplings were pretty good, soup was typical, but the shrimp with broccoli wasn't the greatest. I ended up eating mostly just dumplings and soup that night, with a few bites of the shrimp with broccoli.

Leftover food

The next night, I decided to transform my leftovers. I heated a bit of oil, then added a few tsp of minced garlic, 1 giant onion (chopped), ~5 oz white mushrooms (sliced), and 1 large green bell pepper (chopped). I seasoned with salt and pepper and a few other things that sounded good at the time, and cooked until softened and browned. 

I transferred the cooked veggies to a plate, and then put the leftovers all in the pan. I cooked over medium heat until they were reheated, and the rice clumps had separated. I added the cooked veggies, some fake crab meat, and tasted - it was still missing something. I told Joey it needed some brightness, and asked what he thought would be good. He suggested Trader Joe's Island Soyaki, so I added 2 tbsp of that. It was perfect. I ended up getting 1.5 dinners out of it. Not bad for leftover crappy Chinese food.

Cooked veggies

Final product

You know how I said that there were 7 fortune cookies? Here are the best of the bunch:

No comments:

Post a Comment