Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Recipe: Bananarama Bars

I have a hard time eating much right before a workout. I've been relying on GU Chomps for energy, but sometimes I'm just STARVING and a few gummies won't cut it. Most snacks that are big enough to take the edge off my hunger, just sit too heavily in my stomach. However, I've found that a granola bar is pretty energy dense, while still allowing me to work out or run just fine. I've made Alton Brown's recipe a few times now (another post on that later), and my only complaint is that they go so quickly! Last week, Joey pointed out this recipe, and I finally gave it a try last night.
http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/bananarama-power-k-not-average-power-bar-143900918.html



Recipe: Bananarama Power Bars
Ingredients:
2 large ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
2 cups old fashioned oats (I subbed in 1 scoop of banana protein powder for some oats)
1/2 cup almond milk
1 egg
2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup splenda
1 tbsp ground flax
5 dates, chopped
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix everything together in a large bowl. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a large cookie scoop (or ice cream scoop), place batter on baking sheets, flattening tops slightly. (I fit 5 per sheet, giving me 10 total). Bake for ~20 minutes, or until light brown and set.

Mine look EXACTLY like the picture above! The directions were kind of vague, so I had no idea how many to expect. The protein powder, flax seed, and splenda were all my additions. They looked really soupy so I was afraid they were going to run all over the pan, but it worked out pretty well. I can't wait to eat them pre-workout!