Friday, November 29, 2013

Burritos with Chili-Spiced Brussels Sprouts and Refried Beans



One week, I was tired of my typical sandwiches, and wanted something new. I tried this recipe for chili-spiced brussels sprouts, and absolutely loved it. I only wish that I made more! It made enough for 5 lunches - 3 for me and 2 for Joey. We used the recipe as kind of an inspiration, and didn't follow it all that closely.

Burritos with Chili-Spiced Brussels Sprouts, Refried Beans and Queso Fresco
Adapted from Big Girls, Small Kitchen
Yield: 5 large or 10 small servings

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp red chili flakes
1 can refried beans
8-10 oz queso fresco
10 small/medium sized tortillas

Directions:
Trim and halve the brussels sprouts, removing the outer layer if it doesn't look good. Slice them thinly, so it all looks shredded.

Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add brussels sprouts and salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted and caramelized. Stir in paprika and chili flakes.

To assemble, cover a tortilla with a damp paper towel and put in the microwave, heat for 10-15 seconds, until warm and pliable. Spread with 2-3 tbsp of refried beans, 2-3 tbsp of brussels sprouts, and 1 oz of cheese. Wrap up carefully, and put on a foil-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the desired number of tortillas (I usually ate one medium and one small for lunch), and heat for ~10 minutes at 350 F. (I would use the ancient toaster oven in my office to heat them up each day).



I forgot to take pictures of the finished product! Check out the original recipe to see some better pictures there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment