Friday, November 1, 2013

Roasted spaghetti squash and assorted veggies with parmesan cheese


I love spaghetti squash. I definitely don't see it as a pasta substitute, but since I love veggies, that's not what I'm looking for. I like that it has such a different shape and texture than any other vegetable, and it mixes well with other flavors and sauces so well. We usually make spaghetti squash marinara but I was looking for something different this time. Once I made the recipe, I realized that the main thing I did was not use marinara sauce. Joey still wanted that, so he added some into his portion. I really wanted the veggies to shine. I also used parmesan cheese instead of fresh mozzarella, and didn't bake everything twice.


Recipe: Roasted spaghetti squash and assorted veggies with parmesan cheese
Yield: 2-3 large portions

Ingredients:
1 large spaghetti squash (or two small)
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
1 large bell pepper
1 large onion
8 oz mushrooms (white or cremini)
1 small head broccoli
1/2 large head cauliflower
salt, pepper and garlic powder
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (plus more to taste)

Note - use whatever veggies you happen to have on hand! I like this combination, but really, anything would work.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
(Carefully) cut open the spaghetti squash, and scoop out the slimy stringy flesh and seeds.
Rub the open sides with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on the baking sheet, and cook until tender, about 1 hour.
Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
Turn oven temperature up to 425 F.
Chop the pepper, onion, mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size pieces. For me, this meant strips for the peppers and onion, slices for the mushrooms, and small florets for the broccoli and cauliflower. Lay out on two foil-lined baking sheets, and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
Once the spaghetti squash is cool, take a fork to scrape out the flesh. Run the tines of the fork down the squash, from stem end to bottom, creating long strands. Put the squash in a large bowl, and mix in the rest of the cooked veggies. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Add more s&p (and cheese) to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment