Friday, November 29, 2013

Oven-Dried Cinnamon Apple Slices



I've been meaning to try making homemade apple chips forever. I finally gave it a try, and I was really pleased with the results. I wanted chips that were chewy, instead of crispy, so I cut my apples on the thicker side, getting about 10 slices per apple. I chose not to core the apples first, mostly because I don't have something that can remove the core easily without also cutting them into wedges. I used two pink lady apples and two fuji apples, and I think the pink lady apple slices turned out just a little better, but they were both really tasty. I sprinkled on a TON of cinnamon sugar, since I'm a little obsessed with cinnamon. They end up being sweet and tasty snacks, and look really pretty!

Recipe: Oven-Dried Cinnamon Apple Slices
From: Give Recipe

Ingredients:
4 apples
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 200 F, or as low as your oven will go. (Note: if your oven doesn't go that low, you will have to keep an eye on the apples, since they may take less time to cook.)
Using a sharp knife, or a mandoline, (carefully) slice your apples to your desired thickness, between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick.


Spread the apples out on parchment paper-lined baking sheets, and make sure the slices don't overlap. 

 


Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl, and sprinkle over the sliced apples.




Bake for 1 hour, then take out of the oven and turn over all of the slices. Sprinkle the other side with the cinnamon sugar. Bake for another hour, then turn off the oven and let the slices cool in the oven. Store in a sealed container at room temperature for a few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment