Friday, December 6, 2013

Thanksgiving Day Run - 6 Miles in Charlottesville

After a successful "Turkey Trot" last Thanksgiving, I originally told Joey I wanted to do another race this year on Thanksgiving day. It's nice having a good run in the morning, to really make you feel like you've earned a giant dinner. The only race nearby was a 5k, and Joey wasn't really interested in doing it. We both realized that we would rather run more than just the 3.1 miles, Joey especially. We decided to go on a run together instead. We did 6 miles together, and then Joey continued on for an additional 6 miles! Our 6 miles together were very similar to the last run I did, the first 4 miles were exactly the same. This time, Joey told me that he would run slightly ahead of me for the hills, and I just needed to chase him. Surprisingly, that made it a lot easier to get through the hills. It didn't hurt that I got to stare at his butt bouncing in his bright red shorts :)

I didn't have my phone with me, so I didn't have Runkeeper tracking my run. Joey had his watch, and said we did the 6.02 miles in 59:15 - an average pace of 9:50/mile. Definitely faster than the last time I ran that route. The run felt pretty great, and I definitely picked up the pace in the last 1.5 miles. I explained to Joey how once I get to the point where I'm 1-1.5 miles away from home, I just get this sense of urgency to be DONE. I also am confident at that point that I can finish the run, so that's when I pick up the pace.




If you like this post, check out the posts below!




Recap of 8k Race









8k training: 6 mile run








5 mile run in Bethany Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment