Thursday, May 16, 2013

Chipotle Harvest Grains with Roasted Veggies and Peas

I'm such a slacker - I didn't go to the gym yesterday. I left work early to deal with some phone issues (it got wet while on the cruise, and suddenly stopped recognizing my sim card a week later...fun), then by the time that was done I was just tired, stressed from worrying about my phone, and not feeling great. Instead, I sat on my couch and caught up on some Grey's Anatomy (an episode from February - I am so far behind), and then got an early start on dinner. Now that I've been going to the gym most nights, it's at least 7 until we even start making dinner, and at least 8 until we eat. It was nice to get things started a bit earlier. We didn't have a ton of fresh veggies, so I pulled together a dinner with what we had. I thought it turned out really well! I didn't really measure out most of the ingredients, so a lot of the items listed are estimates.

Recipe: Chipotle Harvest Grains with Roasted Veggies, Roasted Shrimp and Peas
Inspired by: Me (original recipe)
Servings: 2 large dinner portions

Ingredients:
Roasted Veggies:
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
3 medium carrots, peeled and julienned
1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 tbsp oil
salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika


Grains:
1 1/4 cups Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Medley (can use any other grain)
1 3/4 cups water
~1/2 cup frozen peas

Roasted Shrimp:
10 shrimp (31-40 count) - this was for just my serving, Joey had his with turkey burgers
pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika

To finish:
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
~1/2 cup imitation crab flakes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Slice onion from root to root, and then place flat side down and slice each half thinly. Separate the half-rings and put on baking sheet.
Peel carrots, and cut into strips. Mine were ~2 inches long, and 1/2 inch thick.
Cut broccoli into bite-sized florets. (If you bought the broccoli as a bunch, and have the stem left, then you can peel the stem and cut it into thin strips. They're really good roasted, as well as steamed. However when steamed, they take more time to cook than the florets.)
Toss with 1 tbsp oil, and season. I don't measure, and just shake out a bunch on top.
Check on them every 10 minutes. Mine took ~25 minutes to cook.


In a small-medium pot, bring water to a boil.


Add in harvest grain medley, bring back to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Set timer for 10 minutes. It may not actually be done then (mine usually takes a bit longer). If your peas are already thawed, then add them in at the end. Otherwise, add them in with the grains after ~5 minutes of cooking. It may take longer until all of the water is absorbed, since they release some water.

Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil. Once veggies are done, turn oven down to 425 F. Put (thawed) shrimp on the sheet (I like taking off their tails before cooking them, so I don't have to deal with them later), sprinkle with pepper, garlic, paprika. Cook for 6 minutes.

In a large bowl, add the cooked veggies, the cooked grains, the peas (if you didn't already add them to the grains), the chipotle peppers, crab flakes.


Top with cooked shrimp or whatever protein you would like to add. (And more peppers, if you're feeling adventurous!)


Nutrition:
For each serving with shrimp
782 calories
12.5 g fat
130 carbs
19 g fiber
43 g protein
Tons of Vitamin A and C, as well as a good amount of B-6, Calcium and Folate
A bit high in carbs, but I think this was a really well balanced dinner. I would definitely make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment