Friday, May 24, 2013

Recipe: Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata (with some yoga)

I went to yoga last night! I am excited about this, since I had an all day experiment, and wasn't 100% positive that I would finish in time. Not only did I finish in time, but I actually had some time to spare once I got home and changed. I expected that Dakota would be teaching the class again, and was looking forward to it since she made me feel so good about myself last week. I was really surprised to see Ann when I walked in. At first I was a little disappointed, but then I realized how silly that was. Ann is the reason I love yoga in the first place! Once I got over the initial surprise, I was very happy and had an extremely enjoyable class. It wasn't as hard for me this time - not sure if that's proof that I am improving, or if she just led an easier class this week.

I'm so glad that yoga is at 5:30 on Thursdays in the new summer schedule. It makes it a lot easier to get home and still make dinner. I decided that I really wanted a frittata. I looked at a few recipes (actually in that spare time I had before yoga started) and they all called for onions. We were out of onions. No problem - just ran to Harris Teeter straight from yoga, bought onions (as well as many other things I didn't really need), then was home by 7 to start cooking. The whole thing took me ~1 hour from start to finish. I thought that was acceptable for making dinner, especially since Joey didn't get home until ~7:45, so I was cooking by myself.

Recipe: Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata
Adapted from: Ripple Rock Cooks
Yield: 4 servings

I made this in a 12 inch cast iron skillet, so I upped some of the ingredients accordingly

Ingredients:
1-2 tbsp clarified butter
Pinch of chili flakes
1 large onion, diced
2 cubes of frozen garlic paste - all of my fresh garlic had grown mold. gross
3 sprigs fresh thyme
s&p
1 huge unpeeled sweet potato, diced
1/2-1 bunch of kale, torn into small pieces
8 eggs
Splash of milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
~1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese (note: Harris Teeter has their own brand of fancy shredded cheeses, they claimed this one was Swiss Gruyere. They lied. It was just Swiss. Sad)
2 tbsp chopped chives

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Heat butter in cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add chili flakes and onion, toss to coat with butter. Add in the garlic paste (if using fresh garlic, wait until onions have cooked before adding) and leaves stripped from thyme sprigs, and s&p. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent. (If using fresh garlic, add it now and cook for 1 minute before next step.)
Add the potatoes and a splash of water, cover and cook until soft. Check every few minutes and give them a stir. Add more water if it starts to get dry, but make sure to cook until all of the water has evaporated.
Add the kale, stir around so it isn't all just sitting on top of the onions and sweet potatoes. Cover with the lit and let it steam/wilt for a few minutes.
In a small bowl (it's easiest if it has a pouring spout), mix the eggs, milk and chives. Remove the lid from the pan, and sprinkle with the cheese. Pour the eggs on top, tilting the pan as necessary to make it even.
Put in the oven, cook ~10-15 minutes, or until set. If desired, sprinkle on some parmesan cheese in the last few minutes of cooking, or right when you take it out of the oven.
Enjoy!

Nutrition:
378 calories
20 g fat
28 carbs
5.3 g fiber
22.5 g protein

Since this was clearly not a full dinner, I had a (slightly stale) piece of baguette with it, as well as two desserts. Going to bed hungry is not an option.



No comments:

Post a Comment