Wednesday, September 25, 2013

8k Training: 3 mile easy run + 4x speed intervals

After a couple weeks of only doing weekend runs, I'm trying to get back to regular running. I was telling Joey, that there's no way I'll be able to increase the mileage each weekend if I'm not doing anything during the week to help!

Last night I did my running on the treadmill. I did 3 miles at 5.7mph (10:31 pace), then kicked it up for 4 sets of speed intervals. For each, I did 20 seconds at 7.7mph (the treadmill will let you increase the speed by up to 2mph if you hold it down - it takes a lot longer to do any more than that), followed by a 2 min recovery at 5.7mph. For the last one, I did 1 min+ at 7.7mph, and then slowed down to a walk. In the running, I did 3.85 miles total in 39:50. In the total time I was on the treadmill, I did 4.25 miles in 46:16.

I've been having some troubles with my IT band - I'm not sure if I've mentioned that here or not. A few months ago I noticed some knee pain, and now it's pretty regularly inflamed. On Monday, I was supposed to do a strength workout, but Joey and I both played hooky. We came home early, and curled up on the couch watching a movie (Sergeant Bilko) until he had to go to a meeting at 8. I think we both needed the day off (Friday and Sunday were technically off days, but 5.5 hours in the car isn't great for your legs either).

During the run last night, I could really feel the tightness in my knee and outer shin. I'm going to start trying to really work on my IT band with stretching and rolling. We have both "the stick" as well as a mini foam roller, and I've been using those to help loosen it up. If I can't work this out on my own in the next week or so, I'm going to look into some kind of knee brace or compression tights. Up until the last week or so, the pain had only been post-running. Now that it's giving me some troubles while running, I really want to fix this sooner rather than later.

Heart Rate Monitor Results:
Duration: 0:41:18
Calories Burned: 444
Average Heart Rate: 162 (83.9% max)
Max Heart Rate: 181 (93.8% max)
Time in Zone (65-85% max): 0:21:05

No comments:

Post a Comment