Thursday, September 26, 2013

One Pan Pasta - Whole Wheat Linguine with Tomatoes, Basil, Garlic and Onions

This recipe has been all over the blogging world since it came out in the June edition of Martha Stewart Living. I first saw Deb's version of it, using farro, and thought it sounded delicious. Then I started seeing the versions that use linguine, and wondered how it could possibly work. I finally decided that I had to make it. I sent Joey out to the store Tuesday night to get the necessary ingredients, so I could make it on Wednesday (last night).

I started out optimistic - everyone said it worked, so it had to work for me! Then I became apprehensive - my pan wasn't quite big enough for the noodles to lay flat. I added a bit extra of everything to make up for the fact that I had 13+oz linguine instead of 12oz. At first I had a really hard time getting everything to fit in, and I was afraid the water level was too low (I didn't add any extra water to compensate). Once the water got hot, and the noodles became more flexible, I was concerned that there was too much liquid! I thought there was no way this would cook down to make a sauce.

But lo and behold, it all came together! The sauce was really creamy and thick. Joey was actually a little weirded out by how creamy and starchy it was - I think if we made it again, we would use a can of diced tomatoes to even it out, as some others have done. It was comforting and delicious, and I topped mine with roasted shrimp, torn fresh basil, and a ton of freshly grated parmesan cheese (this is when I use the good stuff!)

Recipe: One Pan Pasta - Whole Wheat Linguine with Tomatoes, Basil, Garlic and Onions
Adapted slightly from Lottie + Doof
Yield: 4 large servings

Ingredients:
13.25 oz whole wheat linguine (that's just the size of the box)
14oz cherry tomatoes, halved
1.5 medium onions, sliced thinly
9 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
1/2-3/4 tsp red pepper flakes (we just ran out of that, so I used Trader Joe's South African Smoke seasoning)
2 sprigs basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4.5 cups water
lots of freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Put the linguine, tomatoes, onions, garlic, pepper flakes, sprigs basil, oil, salt and pepper in a large, deep pan with straight sides. Add water. Bring to a boil over high heat. If your noodles don't quite fit, just keep moving them around until they're soft enough to bend.

Stir and turn the pasta frequently with tongs, until pasta is al dente, and water has mostly evaporated. This will take about 9-11 minutes.

Serve with extra basil, parmesan cheese, and shrimp or chicken.

Everything barely fit! This is before I added the oil and water

I managed to get everything submerged in the water. You can see it's boiling away

Finished product! Look how thick and creamy the sauce is!

Comfort in a bowl

No comments:

Post a Comment