Monday, September 9, 2013

Ab Class + KB Workout + 2 mile jog

I had a big day at the gym on Sunday. I was scheduled to run 2 miles for my training plan (actually I was supposed to do 2 miles on Saturday and 4 on Sunday, but I switched since the weather on Saturday was fantastic). There was also a 30 minute class at the AFC that I really wanted to try out - it's called Hard CORE, and this is what it promises to do:
Challenge your abdominals, back, and hips in this dynamic and intense workout. Learn to effectively strengthen the core using proper form and technique!

I also realized that I couldn't do KB on Monday, since I had something scheduled until 7, and really didn't want to start that late. I decided I would do everything on Sunday, since I would already be at the AFC. My plan was to do the 30 minute class, jog one of the miles on the indoor track, do 2 sets of KBs, then finish with 1 more mile on the track. Splitting up the running made it a lot easier, and made it so I wasn't too tired for any one part of the workout.

By the time I finished, it was almost 5:00, and I still had to go to the grocery store. I got home around 6 and was just completely beat. Next time I will remember to eat more prior to a big workout like that.

Anyway, here's what I did!

The 30 minute class was great. It got way more crowded than I expected - I guess I thought that all of the undergrads would be out doing fun things. The class looked like a sorority - everyone was wearing sports bras covered by those big loose tank tops where you can see the girl's stomach through the arm holes - since when did those become a thing? Besides that, the class was really good. It was definitely hard - I am super sore today. I liked that it wasn't just abs, that we did things for our back, as well as some upper and lower body exercises. There were a lot of plank variations, as well as a lot of leg lifts. I'm going to plan on doing it every Sunday I don't have plans - it's just a half hour, and was very effective.

I'm really glad I split up the running. It was really easy doing just one mile at a time, and it helped loosen up my legs. I did the first mile in ~10:15, and the second mile in just under 10 minutes.

For KB, I decided to do two cards. The workouts Joey comes up with are usually much harder than the cards, so I figured this would be a good time to ease back a little. I think I've officially moved up to the 25lb KB. I was able to do everything with that weight, except for just a couple exercises. I can't do get ups with that weight, and I keep forgetting to bring a lighter KB, so I just did russian twists instead. I also can't do windmills with that weight, so I just did them without any weight at all. They're still pretty effective without weight if you do them really slow and controlled.


I don't have any heart rate monitor data since I couldn't find it at the time. After I got back from the run on Saturday, I remembered taking it off, removing the actual monitor from the strap, and hanging it somewhere. 10 minutes later, when I was about to get in the shower, I looked for it so I could wash it. Couldn't find it anywhere. Still couldn't find it on Sunday, when I was going to bring it with me to the gym. It wasn't until I got back from the gym that I found it, and almost immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment