Thursday, June 6, 2013

KB + moving

Well it took a bit, but I'm finally ready to write about what I've been up to the last week! I keep all of my KB cards in my gym bag, which is completely separate from the (unnecessarily) giant bag I bring into work every day. Every time I've decided okay, I have a few minutes to write a post about my workouts, I realize that I don't have the KB cards with me. I FINALLY remembered last night to stick them in my bag, so here I am.

Workout May 29, 2013:
Assisted Pullups:
After being at 90lbs assistance for weeks and weeks, I finally decided to move to 80lbs. Joey very astutely pointed out that for the purpose of trying to do a single real pullup, being able to do 3 sets of 10 isn't very pragmatic, especially once I get to lower assistance.
I did: 80lbs assistance - 7, 5, 5

Assisted Dips:
100lbs assistance - 8, 8, 8

After I finished with my 3 sets, I decided to try to go to a lower weight and try to do just 1 or 2 pullups, to see how close I was to doing a real one on my own. I was convinced that I would be able to do it at 60, and then started getting excited since I thought that the weight was off by ~35 lbs, so it would mean I was really close! I walk over and set the weight to 60, drop down, and then....nothing. I didn't budge. So okay, maybe I'm not at 60 - I move it to 70, and I just barely barely moved. I was pretty close to doing one, but still, it was pretty sad. Then of course I find out that the weight is really off by maybe ~25 lbs. Sad.

KB Workout:
Level 1 Card: Tortuous 200 (modified), with 20lb KB
Go through card twice
Swings: 20
Clean and Press: 10 each side
Goblet Squat: 10
Windmills: 5 each side, using 15lb KB
American Swings: 10
Tactical Lunges: 5 each side
Walk Out Planks: 5
Triple Crush: 5
Russian Twist: 10

Level 2 Card: Iron Clad (modified), with 20lb KB
Complete each set of exercises before moving onto the next
American Swings: 3 sets of 6
Swings: 5 sets of 10
Squat Catch: 2 sets of 10
Clean and Press: 3 sets of 3 each side
Bent Over Rows: 3 sets of 10 each side
Tactical Lunge: 3 sets of 5 each side
Two-Arm High Pulls: 3 sets of 10
Windmills: 3 sets of 5 each side, using 15lb KB
Russian Twist: 2 sets of 10

I didn't do a workout on Friday, since I was moving! We moved all of my stuff to the front room of Joey's house, with the help of two of our friends. I was really impressed that all of it fit - I have a TON of stuff. I think all of the moving counted as a good workout - my back was really sore the next day. Then I took the weekend off from running since I still had a lot more to do at my house. Even though we moved all of the big items on Friday, I still had a lot of loose things to move on Saturday. I think Joey was disgusted by all of it. Then on Sunday, I spent almost the entire day cleaning, which turned out to be a workout in itself.

Workout June 3, 2013:

Assisted Pullups:
80lbs assistance: 9, 6, 5 (progress!)

Assisted Dips:
100lbs assistance: 8, 8, 8

KB Workout:
Level 1 Card: Cafe con Kettlebell (modified), with 20lb KB
Finish all reps and sets of each exercise before moving onto the next
Squat Catch: 8 reps, 2 sets
Two-Arm High Pulls: 10 reps, 3 sets
American Swings: 6 reps, 3 sets
Swings: 10 reps, 5 sets
Triple Crush: 6 reps, 3 sets

Level 2 Card: 300 Degree Fryer (modified), with 20lb KB
Go through the card twice
Swings: 25
Pushups: 10
Tactical Lunges: 20 (10 each)
Clean and Press: 20 (10 each)
Figure 8 to a Hold: 20
American Swings: 20
Walk Out Planks: 10
Squat Catch: 15
Russian Twist: 15

At the end of my workout, Joey took me to the real pullup bar, and had me try something new. I hoisted myself up, bent my knees but kept my legs dangling, and then tried to do a pullup. Joey put his hand under my knees and pushed just enough so I could actually pull myself up. I did one set of 5, rested, and then one set of 3. In the first set, he was giving me a bit too much help until I told him to stop. I also didn't have a great grip, since the bar was just slightly too high to get a good hold on it. In the second set, we found a stool so I could step up and get a good grip before dangling. He also gave less assistance, so it was much harder. It still seems like I'm really far away from doing a real pullup on my own, but he's trying to convince me that I'm closer than I think. I will plan on spending much less time at each weight though, with the assisted pullups. My plan is to do it 3 times at each weight before moving on. We'll see how doable that is. And Joey wants me to do the real pullups, with his assistance, once a week. Hopefully by the end of the summer, I will be able to do one!

Now I need to get myself back into running. I was taking advantage of the break I had on my crazy Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I didn't have that this week. I took off the whole weekend because of moving. On Tuesday I had a break, but scheduled an appointment during it, and I was just too tired at the end of the day to do anything. On Wednesday I didn't get any kind of workout in, since I had an eye appointment, and I thought my eyes were going to be dilated. Today I don't have an experiment, so hopefully I'll get a run in this afternoon. The weather is pretty gloomy, so I'll have to come up with an indoor backup plan. Until I figure out how to run without music, the rain will prevent me from running outside. Rain + iphone = bad news.

No comments:

Post a Comment