Wednesday, June 19, 2013

KB Workout + Dinner

Today I tried something slightly different for my gym routine. The AFC is out of the way from both lab and home, which is why I worked out at the gym by my apartment on Monday. That was really convenient, but it's a small gym with zero cell reception and limited equipment. In order to do a KB workout, I need to go to a gym that has them. I'll eventually buy myself one (or two) but for the time being, I have to go to the AFC or Mem Gym. Mem is actually perfectly on the way for me, which I realized today. I took the bus there straight from lab, took about 5 minutes. Once I was done, I caught the bus home, again about 5 minutes. It's a lot smaller than the AFC, and definitely not as well ventilated, but it has KBs!

As soon as I finished up in lab, I headed over. Joey and I thought that there was an assisted pullup machine there, but after looking around in the weight room for a few minutes and feeling pretty silly, I realized that they do not in fact have one. I'll have to figure something out for those, I'm pretty close to doing a real pullup, but I still need the assisted machine to help me out. After leaving the weight room, I went back to the "combative room," which is where the KBs and free weights were. It's a strange room, mostly meant for sparring and punching a bag. I felt like I was in the way most of the time, but oh well.

KB Workout:

Level 2 Card with 20lb KB
30 seconds on, 15 seconds off
Go through list 2x

American Swings (2x, since I was replacing Snatches for left and right)
Swing
Goblet Lunges
Halo
Clean and Press, left
Clean and Press, right
Goblet Squats

KB 300
I did this again, to try to beat my time. And this time I actually did the half burpees during it (Joey forgot to tell me to do them last time until I was done).

25 Pushups
25 V-ups
50 Half burpees
50 American swings
50 Clean and press (25/arm)
50 2-arm swings
50 Mountain climbers

I beat my time by a lot! I finished in 16:50, more than 3 minutes faster than before. I realized that I was putting more effort into the v-ups than was necessary, and sped through the mountain climbers a lot more quickly than I did last week. Now I have a new time to beat.

I got home earlier than I expected, and had time to pull together dinner. Joey wanted roasted potatoes, so I did a mix of russet potato, sweet potato and rutabaga. It was really yummy :) Even though it took a while to cook!

Recipe: Rosemary Roasted Root Vegetables
From: Me
Yield: 2 large or 3 medium servings

Ingredients:
Root vegetables of choice (I used 1 GIANT sweet potato, 1 medium russet potato, 1 small onion, halved and sliced thinly, and 1/2 medium rutabaga)
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
Scrub all veggies really well. For potatoes, the skins can be left on. I peeled the rutabaga because the skin is pretty waxy. Chop all veggies into ~1 inch cubes.
In a large bowl, toss veggies with the oil until everything is coated. Spread out on the baking sheet, and sprinkle with herbs and spices.
Cook for ~40-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to make sure nothing is sticking.

All of the veggies laid out and seasoned

 
10 minutes in                                                        20 minutes in

 
30 minutes in                                                        40 minutes in


Dinner is served!

Yummy crispy potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment