Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Salad for lunch

I typically have a sandwich for lunch every. single. day. Sometimes that is boring. Sometimes I don't have enough supplies to put on my sandwich, and it's really pitiful and then I'm hungry 45 minutes later. Joey has been having a salad for lunch twice a week, and I decided to give it a try. We went to Cville Market over the weekend, and I bought two containers of spring mix. They sell small amounts of lettuce (for really cheap) in big plastic containers. I got 2.5 oz spring mix for $0.72, and it was a lot of lettuce, while still having plenty of room for add-ins. Last night, I went through the fridge and made a goody bag of salad mix-ins. Today, I put them all in the container and topped with some salad dressing, and chowed down. It was really yummy! I'm sure it costs less than my sandwich, especially because I can just scrounge in the fridge for anything we have around.

Salad, version 1:
From: Me
Yield: 1 lunch-sized serving

Ingredients:
2 1/2 oz spring mix
2 small radishes, sliced (from our garden!!!!)
1/4 cup zucchini, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
2 oz crumbled feta
1/2 cup imitation crab chunks
3 tbsp fat-free Italian dressing (what I found in my lab's food fridge)

Directions:
Mix everything together and enjoy! If preparing this in advance, don't add the dressing until right before eating.

Nutrition:
305 calories
12.2 g fat
32 g carbs
3.6 g fiber
16.7 g protein

I enjoyed it along with 1 stick of string cheese (we saw one that had jalapeno and bell pepper and had to buy it, it's pretty good) and a scone.


No comments:

Post a Comment