Tuesday, June 25, 2013

KB Workout: Monday, June 24th

Yesterday was my mom's birthday! Happy birthday Mom!!

I'm still trying to figure out a gym routine. I now have 3 gyms to choose from, all with varying levels of convenience, and types of equipment. I went to my old gym, the AFC, last night. I planned ahead and packed a bag to bring to lab. At the end of the day, I took the bus straight to the gym, and changed in the locker room. Then Joey gave me a ride back after we were both finished. It worked out pretty well, but it's dependent on both remembering to bring everything I need, and being on the same schedule as Joey. There's a bus I could potentially take back home from the gym, but it's a 20 minute ride, and I don't know how often it runs in the evenings.

Anyway, this is what I did at the AFC last night!

Assisted Pullups:
70lbs assistance: 4, 3, 2
As soon as I finished the last set, I changed the weight to 90lbs assistance and did 7 more

Assisted Dips:
90lbs assistance: 5, 5, 5


I used a 20lb KB for all of the KB exercises. I started with the 10-2 ladder, and did that one time through. Then I moved onto the level 2 card, and did 2 sets of strength and 2 sets of tabata. I followed that up with 3 sets of 3 gets ups with a 7.5 DB. Then I did the Ab set. My hips completely locked up during the Ab extenders so I didn't make it through all 10...

Between the 10-2 Ladder and the Level 2 card, Joey came over to check my progress. It's been a while since he's seen me do any KB exercises, and I wanted to make sure I was doing them correctly. He said for the most part I was doing everything right, which was good. Then he tried to teach me some new things. I'm still struggling to figure out the Snatch. Every time a card says to do snatch, I substitute American Swings. I'm getting closer to it, but still not quite there. He showed me how to do American Swings with a turn, which adds a little extra movement into it. He also showed me how to do Swing Catch - something I had done with  DB (modified slightly) in one of our last sparty sets. It's definitely more complicated with a KB - you start with a swing, and then toss it towards you so the grip rotates. Then you squat and press, and toss it back to grab and finish the bottom portion of the swing. I think I got the hang of it - it's one of those things where you can't be afraid of it.

After Joey finished up in the hot tub/sauna - without me because I forgot my suit :( - we went back home and got dinner started. He steamed some carrots, yellow squash and green beans for us, and microwaved a couple of potatoes (russet for him, sweet potato for me), and I made mustard and brown sugar tilapia again. I've been adding just a dusting of cayenne, so I get the sweet and spicy flavor in the mustard.

Later I was still a bit hungry, so I took a slice of my sandwich bread (some kind of whole wheat whole grain thing) and topped half of it with homemade strawberry jam, and half with chestnut butter. Delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment