Monday, June 24, 2013

Workout: Friday, June 21st + random other things

I was going to do a sparty workout on Friday. By the time I got home, and dealt with some moving related things, I was just too tired to deal with it. I hadn't planned one out yet, and didn't really want to. Joey was on his way out to his first frisbee tournament, and suggested I just do a short run at our gym. It wouldn't require any planning or effort, and it would make me feel a lot better.

He was right. I felt so much better after. I actually started to feel a lot better during, and ended up doing a bit more once the run was done. I did 2 miles on the treadmill, starting at 5.8 and ending at 7.0 (just for the last bit). I then did 4 sets of lat pull downs. The weight was a lot different from what I typically use at the AFC. At the AFC I usually do 60 or 70lbs. I started with that, and it just felt crazy easy - I had to up it to 110 or 120 lbs. I did 2 sets of close grip and 2 sets of wide grip, alternating, and did 10-15 reps for each.

I followed that up with a set of abs - 50 crunches with feet down, 50 crunches with feet up, 50 left side crunches, 50 right side crunches, 25 v-ups and 10 ab extenders.

Saturday morning I got up really early to sign up for the Charlottesville Women's 4 Miler! It supports the UVA Breast Care Center and breast cancer research, and is only for women. It filled up in just 5 hours! Since clearly my sub 55 min 10k training plan has gone out the window, maybe I'll start training for this race. I know I can do 4 miles, but it would be really great to try to pick up my pace. I know that I can do around 8:30-8:40 for a 5k. I will first have to try to repeat that - I only did that once, and it was super early in the morning and on a really flat course. Then I'll try to keep that pace for 4 miles. Finally, I'll try to bring down that pace. I can maybe start with trying to keep that pace over a slightly longer distance, and then pump up the pace a bit. My big goal would be to finish the race with a 8:00 pace, but that's a pretty lofty goal. I don't think I've ever kept that pace for more than a mile. This just means I have to keep up with (slash get back to) the running!

Just to put it out there - if anyone is interested in sponsoring me for the race, please let me know! It's definitely for a good cause.

Also, here are a few things I ate in the past few days:

Salad - Variation #1
Just a repeat of the salad I had the other day

Pesto tortellini (TJ's) + roasted shrimp + caramelized mushrooms and onions + parmesan cheese

Fried eggs on rye bread with sliced gouda
The egg on the left was perfectly runny, the one on the right got cooked through but was still delicious

Saturday night I went out with a few friends to Horse and Hound for dinner. My beer was delicious - I successfully found the beer I loved when I was there 2 years ago! We got a set of 12 beers for a tasting flight, and I loved one, but forgot the name. While waiting for my friends to show up last night, the bartender asked what kind of beer I liked and then guessed I might like a particular one. He was certainly right! Not only did I like it, but I recognized it as the mystery beer from two years ago. It was the Belhaven Scottish Ale. 

My dinner wasn't quite as satisfying. I had been snacking during the day, so I decided to get a salad. I got the "Spiced Butternut Squash Salad," which was described to include lentils, goat cheese, roasted squash seeds, arugula, and bitter orange vinaigrette. I should have thought more about it - the salad was definitely bitter, but that should have been expected. The vinaigrette was described as being bitter, plus arugula itself is definitely bitter. I was mostly disappointed by the sparseness of the lentils - I was expecting to have equal amounts of lentils and arugula, but it was more like an arugula salad with a few lentils scattered throughout. Oh well, serves me right for not being hungry enough to order something I would have enjoyed a whole lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment