Friday, June 7, 2013

Rain and Gloom

I can't wait for the rain to stop. Every time I look out the window, it's still raining, and just as hard. Which doesn't exactly lift me out of my gloom. I'm just having one a couple of those days.

Yesterday started out great. I had a fantastic meeting with my boss, got some work started as a result of that, and then things went downhill.

I donated a bit of blood before my meeting, which was actually a big deal for me. I tried giving blood a few times in high school, and each time just got really sick, or was unable to fill the whole bag. I eventually just stopped trying. It was always such a horrible experience. My veins would roll, they would end up poking me multiple times - one time there was actually blood coming down my arm, instead of into the tube. Just a little bit of blood was needed; about 1/10 of what would normally be taken for a blood donation. I was so proud of myself that things went well - my vein didn't roll, the blood started flowing immediately, and I didn't feel sick at all. I don't know if what followed had anything at all to do with the small blood donation, but it's all I can come up with.

After lunch, I started feeling pretty tired. My stomach hurt a bit, I had a headache, and I just wanted to go to bed. I made it until about 3 before I headed home. It took a bit, but I got maybe an hour of sleep before Joey came home. He went to the gym and the store, and I got another hour or so of sleep. When I woke up, I noticed that I had a bunch of itchy bumps over my arms, and some on my legs. My first thought was that I got attached by some bugs in Joey's room. After doing some serious itching, and then putting on some lotion, it subsided. I didn't really think about it the rest of the night. My skin has been so finicky lately, that it's pretty normal for me to be itchy. I tried going to sleep early, still being tired despite the nap. I woke up at one point in the night, realizing that I had been tossing and turning for hours, and the itching had worked itself into my dreams. I stumbled into the bathroom, only to see that the bumps had returned. They were on my arms, legs, and even my back. I got back in bed to find that it was only 2:45am, and morning was still far away. After freaking out for a bit, I managed to get some more sleep, while still tossing and turning throughout. When Joey's alarm went off in the morning, I realized that the itching had gone down again. I got up, showered, and trekked into work in the rain. I feel a bit better - no more itching (at the moment). I'm still exhausted, but that's probably to be expected. I just have no idea what caused it - some kind of irritation to the blankets? A strange reaction to the blood donation? All in my head?

While in my funk last night, I decided that I needed hot chocolate. I made some - it turned out to be decent, although not great. I mixed ~2 tbsp unsweeteened cocoa with ~2 tbsp splenda, added it to 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk and heated the mixture on the stove until hot. I think that for 60 calories, it was pretty darn good. I would just need something a bit more decadent to satisfy the craving I had at the time.

Anyway, enough about that. The good thing about the rain is that it's good for the garden! Here is a picture I snapped yesterday afternoon. I'll take more once the rain stops.

And for anyone who cares, here is the awesome breakfast I had this morning.

I filled my bowl with cut up fresh fruit.
Added some homemade peach jam from last summer.
Topped with greek yogurt (I love when it falls out of the container and looks like a jello mold)
and homemade granola.