Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Recipe - Honey Wheat Sandwich Bread

I've really gotten into a bread making kick! After the cheddar jalapeno bread was such a success, I decided I want to try making bread once a week or every other week for my daily sandwiches. I decided to give a more basic bread a try, one that uses ingredients I'm more likely to have on hand. It turned out really well! The original recipe was for 2 loaves, but in case I didn't like it, I wanted to try just making the one loaf. I cut everything in half, and proceeded from there. In the original recipe, it instructs you to start with 4 cups of flour, and add up to an additional 1 cup, if the dough is too sticky. I figured that since I was halving the recipe, I would probably add up to an additional 1/2 cup. I ended up needing ~3/4 cup extra, plus what I used to roll it out. This could be because the weather has been very humid. It also could be that when doubling the recipe, you don't need fully double of everything - something I've found when making more than 1 serving of oatmeal, for example. Either way, making just the 1 loaf turned out really well! I rubbed butter on the top when it came out of the oven, like I did last time, making it really easy to slice. I got 16 slices out of the one loaf. The only thing I would change next time would be the dimensions of the rectangle it is rolled out to, after the first rise. I had a hard time fitting it into the loaf pan, and was afraid that the funny shape would come out when it baked. It ended up being just fine, but in the future I would maybe do a rectangle that was ~7 inches wide instead of 10 inches.

Recipe: Honey Wheat Sandwich Bread
Adapted from: Recipe Girl
Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices)

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used store brand white whole wheat)
2-3 cups bread flour (I used Gold Medal)
1 tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
2 tbsp honey
1/2 + 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk (any milk is fine - dairy or non-dairy)
2 tbsp butter

Directions:
In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the whole wheat flour, 2 cups of the bread flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Whisk to mix.

In a microwave-safe medium bowl, add the honey, water, milk and butter. Heat at 30 second intervals in the microwave, until the temperature is ~105-110 F. It should feel just slightly warm.

Using the dough hook, start mixing on low. Pour the liquid in a steady stream. Add additional bread flour, 1 tbsp at a time, until it creates a ball that does not stick to the sides. Knead for 5 minutes after this has been reached.

Lightly grease a large bowl. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and form into a smooth ball. Put it in the bowl seam-side up, then turn it over, so all surfaces are coated with oil. Cover with saran wrap and put in a warm place (~70 F) for 30 minutes, until doubled in size.

Liberally flour a large surface. Dump out dough, gently deflate. Roll into a rectangle 10x12 inches (see notes - might be better to make it 7x12). With the short end facing you, roll up tightly, pinching seams closed. Put in a greased 9x5 loaf pan seam-side up, then dump out and put back in seam-side down, so all sides have been coated. Cover with saran wrap (spray the underneath with non-stick spray), let rise for 30 minutes, or until at least 1 inch above top of pan.

Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until instant thermometer inserted into center of bread reads 190-200 F. Remove bread from pan immediately, place on wire rack. Brush melted butter over surface, or rub butter on with a paper towel. Let cool completely before slicing.

Nutrition (per slice):
119 calories
0.8 g fat
23.7 g carbs
1.3 g fiber
3.8 g protein

Picture Tutorial:
Flours, salt, sugar, yeast mixed together

 
Milk, water, butter, honey warmed

Ready for the first rise!

First rise completed - at least doubled in size

Rolled up and squeezed into loaf pan - notice the weird shape?


Definitely at least 1 inch above top of pan

Beautiful baked loaf (pre butter)

It looks so much prettier once it's been rubbed with butter. See the hole from the thermometer?

Sliced up! It sliced so nicely. I always like when I can get 15-16 slices from a loaf
It isn't as shiny now - most of the butter was absorbed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment