Monday, August 26, 2013

Recipe: Quinoa Succotash


When I was at the gym last Wednesday, for my running+yoga workout, I had no idea what I was planning on doing for dinner. I wouldn't get out until almost 8, and I knew I would be too tired to come up with something then, but I still couldn't think of anything before hand. Joey even asked if there was anything he could prep, but my mind was a blank.

When he came to get me after yoga, he told me that he bought ingredients to make something, but if I didn't want it that night we could do it another time. He had seen a recipe for a quinoa dish that day, and as he was describing it, I realized it was from a blog I followed! I had seen the recipe myself, but for some reason didn't think to save it. I decided that sounded delicious, and helped him make it once we got home.

Recipe: Quinoa Succotash
Adapted slightly from Simply Recipes
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
2 tbsp clarified butter or oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1 cup baby lima beans, canned or frozen
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp vegetable stock
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice
Sliced avocado (optional)

Directions:
Soak quinoa in warm water for a few minutes, then rinse it and let it drain for a few minutes.

While you are soaking the quinoa, heat the clarified butter or oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Once the quinoa is ready, add to the pan and increase heat to medium-high, until the onions and quinoa are golden.

Add the corn, lima beans, tomato and thyme, and stir to combine. Add vegetable stock and salt, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. (Mine took a lot longer to cook, probably because I used extra lima beans, and both my corn and beans were frozen. Just keep an eye on it.)

Stir in the lemon juice and fluff with a fork. Top with avocado slices, if desired.

Nutrition:
331 calories
9 g fat
53 g carbs
7.8 g fiber
10.8 g protein


No comments:

Post a Comment