Monday, August 26, 2013

Refried Bean Tostadas

Sometimes I have no idea what I want for dinner. Usually when that happens, Joey comes up with something that I would like. Every once in a while I come up with a concoction - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This one worked pretty well.

I'm not going to call it a recipe, since you can make it however you would like. This is how I happened to make it.

First I sauteed some garlic and veggies. I used a TON of garlic - probably 5 giant cloves. I minced it and then added it to some oil in a large skillet, until it smelled really good and was golden brown. Then I added some diced onion and green bell pepper - I used 1/2 of a giant onion, and 1 small pepper. I added some salt and pepper here. Once that was mostly cooked, I added some chopped mushrooms - I think I used 5 giant button mushrooms. While that was going, I drained and rinsed a can of pinto beans, and then mashed them in a medium bowl. Once the veggies were cooked, I dumped them in the bowl with the beans and mixed it all up.

I used small corn tortillas - first I toasted them in the toaster oven, so they would be a bit crispy, and so they would be sturdy enough to hold the veggies. Then I topped them with a generous amount of the bean/veggie mixture, and some shredded cheddar cheese. I put them back in the toaster oven so the cheese could melt, and then ate them with homemade tomatillo salsa. I had enough filling for 5 tortillas. Delicious!






While I was making my tostadas, Joey was making sausage with onions and peppers, to go on a nice piece of bread for a sandwich. He used a recipe that was originally meant for a slow cooker, but did it in the Dutch oven instead. I took just a few pictures of his process:



No comments:

Post a Comment