Sunday, August 4, 2013

Weekly Finds: 8/4/13


Breakfast:

Coffee Pancakes
Everyone loves coffee and pancakes for breakfast right? Well Jenna had the genius idea of combining the two in one tasty treat. They use a surprising amount of coffee, so they really could be a substitute for your morning cup of coffee to give you a caffeine jolt!

Dutch Baby with Maple Bourbon Peaches
I've made a Dutch Baby once and it was so good. That one was with blueberries and raspberries, and I'd love to try it with these peaches.

How To Make Flaky, Awesome, Perfect Buttermilk Biscuits
I think the title (and picture) sums these up nicely. They look beautiful, and I've heard that the trick of grating butter works really well.

Snacks:

Peach Cobbler Jam
I've made basic peach jam a lot of times, and it's one of the best thing I've made while canning and preserving. I've wondered if I should try to make a new variation, and if I do, I'm definitely trying this one out. It adds fresh ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg to make a wonderfully spiced peach jam.

Individual Seven-Layer Dip
This is such a great idea for a party. Instead of having everyone huddle over the seven layer dip, each guest can take their own! 

Dinner:

Grilled Shrimp Pesto Pizza
This pizza sounds delicious - it's covered in pesto, cooked shrimp, tomatoes and shredded mozzarella. 

Thin Crust Pizza
Here's another pizza recipe, but is much more traditional. It looks like delivery pizza, and I mean that in a good way. This is made with homemade tomato sauce and two kinds of cheese. I would skip the pepperoni, or only put them on Joey's half.

Sides:

Grilled Halloumi Cheese Skewers with Mushrooms and Onion
Halloumi cheese is really interesting, in that it has a much higher melting point than most cheeses. This means it can be fried or grilled without oozing and making a giant mess. Here, the cheese, mushrooms and onion pieces are marinated and then grilled on skewers, making a delicious vegetarian option.


Zucchini Gratin
This is zucchini at its best - kept simple with cheese, breadcrumbs and rice. This gratin puffs up beautifully, and gets a lovely golden brown crust. 

Dessert:

Roasted Fig Goat Cheese Ice Cream
Figs and goat cheese are two of my favorite foods. The sweet figs and tangy goat cheese are a perfect combination in this summer treat.

Biscoff Cookie Dough Ice Cream
I love cookie dough ice cream. It's a simple classic that makes it okay for you to eat cookie dough :) This one uses biscoff to make what must be the tastiest cookie dough ever.

Honeyed Peanut Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Freckles
This ice cream gets inspiration from buckeye candies. I have a friend for whom buckeyes are complete kryptonite - she can't have them around. This ice cream must be delicious.

Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Cups
There are a lot of candies I want to try making from scratch, and this is definitely one of them. It seems pretty simple to layer all of these delicious ingredients together. The problem would be not eating them all myself!

Perfect Pie Crust
Not only does this give the recipe and instructions for how to make the perfect pie crust, it shows the many ways it can be used. I personally want to make those poptarts! The recipe is very simple - just flour, butter, ice water, and a bit of salt and sugar.

Salted Caramel Sticky Buns
Salted caramel - oh how I swoon. I've always had great luck with Alton Brown's Overnight Cinnamon Rolls, but I think I may have to adapt them to include this salted caramel sauce!

Carrot Cake Roll
Making a jelly roll is on my cooking bucket list. This is a delicious variation using a carrot cake and a cream cheese filling.

Chewy Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies
I love sugar cookies. And even more so, I love when you can make sugar cookies that don't require using cookie cutters! These use coconut and lime to punch up the flavor a bit.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies
Ginger is one of my favorite ingredients. I love the sweet spice it gives. I think I would add some crystallized ginger to really capitalize on the flavor. Either way, these cookies look great.

Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy peanut butter cookies (made with both white and brown sugar) are studded with chocolate chips. Best of both worlds.

Drinks:

Homemade Mulling Spices
I love giving away homemade gifts for the holidays. They're a great way to save some money while still giving great gifts.

Fitness:

Power Gym Workout

How Much Protein Should I Eat This is a handy chart that tells you, based on your weight and activity level, how much protein you need in your diet. I was a bit surprised by how much I need! I need to do a better job of getting it in my diet.

Cooking Tips:

How to Clean Your Cast Iron Skillet Very helpful advice if you own a cast-iron skillet!

No comments:

Post a Comment