Thursday, August 15, 2013

Workout Recap - Running on Wednesday, August 14th

While trying to plan out my workout yesterday, I got a little overwhelmed. Normally Wednesdays are strength training days, but with two gyms being closed, and just being exhausted from the week, I didn't know what to do. I already did my day of straight lifting, and kettle bells weren't an option. I technically could have done a sparty workout, but that just seemed daunting. I asked Joey what I should do, saying I was just too tired to figure something out, what with the long week and all of the running I've been doing lately. He suggested that until the race (August 31st!), that I just focus more on running. I had already been planning a longer run for Thursday morning (more to come on that), but he said that I would be fine to do a different kind of run on Wednesday. I decided to do a short run (2 miles), followed by either striders or short hill repeats. I chose striders, since I was doing it on the treadmill, and those are easy to do. There's a short hill just outside of the gym, but I figured I would be getting plenty of hills in my long run the next day.

The run felt really great. I did 2 miles at a pretty good pace (19:35), and then did 3 sets of striders. Striders are 20 seconds sprinting, followed by 2 minutes recovery jog. Each of those were 1/4 mile, so I did 2.75 miles in 26:40. I walked the last quarter mile, doing 3 miles in a total of 30 minutes. I really enjoyed this run. It's a quick and easy run to do, and helps strengthen your legs with the striders. I've included a table with a general format. I didn't keep track of exactly what I did, but I believe I did the first 1/4 mile at 5.7mph, then bumped it up to 6.0mph until 0.6 miles. At that point I increased to 6.3mph. There was one song maybe around 1 or 1.5 miles that made me push it up to 6.6, and then I moved it back down to 6.4 to finish out the 2 miles. For the striders, I did the first two at 8.0mph, and the last one at 8.5mph. I did the recovery jogs at 6.0mph.

After I got off the treadmill, I did some core exercises. I did 50 traditional crunches (legs up), then 10x2 v-ups. I ended with 1 minute forearm plank, and 30 sec side plank (on each side). In the last 10 seconds of the side planks, I did some leg lifts. Those are hard! Make sure to do them really slowly, and keep your hips aligned.


Heart Rate Monitor:
Duration: 0:47:50
Calories Burned: 482
Average Heart Rate: 155
Maximum Heart Rate: 182
Time In Zone: 0:23:48

No comments:

Post a Comment